Computational Biology Camp for Middle School Graduates
DATE: July 30 - Aug 1, 2013
TIME: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
LOCATION: University of Michigan, Room 4152 of the Undergraduate Science Building
FEE: $215 (Lunch and Snacks included)
NEW! Pre-camp workshop: July 29, 2 - 4:30 pm (non-mandatory)
FOR: all incoming high school students (boys and girls) who are intereted in computer, math, biology, and medicine
Sponsor: Women In Science and Engineering (WISE)
You will recieve email confirmation for the registration.
Expose high school entering students to career opportunities in biomedicine through hands-on experience in computational genomics and prepare them for the emerging era of medical genomics, when all doctors must be well-acquainted with genetic discoveries, technologies, and applications.
1. Differentiate gene entities (DNA, RNA, and proteins).
2. Understand the mechanisms of gene expression (transcription and translation).
3. Understand genetic biomarkers in a disease context and the effects of environmental factors such as exercise, food consumption, substance abuse, and medication.
4. Learn about personalized medicine.
5. Become familiar with the National Center for Biotechnology Information database and computational tools.
6. Learn to obtain sequences of specific regions of RNA for any genes of interest.
7. Be familiar with career paths related to computational biology.
Overall Daily Activities
8:30 am – 9:30 am check out what you know, games
9:30 am – 10 am lectures covering specific aims
10 am – 10:30 am snack break and group discussion
10:30 am – 11 am lectures covering specific aims
11 am – 11:30 am discussion and student presentation related to the lectures
11:30 am – 12:30 pm lunch (provided)
12:30 pm – 1:30 pm training for computational tools and their excercise
1:30 pm – 2 pm individual research to solve a daily question on genomics
2 pm – 2:30 pm snack break and group discussion
2:30 pm – 3:30 pm daily special projects
3:30 pm – 4:30 pm career discussion with a professional, final presentation
Tuesday (July 30th, 2013) Invited Speaker (3:30 - 4:30 pm)
Matt Sampson, M.D., M.Sce, Assistant Professor, Pediatric Nephrology, University of Michigan
Parents are invited to the final day’s students' group presentation (3:30 - 4:30 pm) at room 1250 of the Undergraduate Science Building
The $30 administrative fee will not be refunded once the camp application is accepted.
If a student withdraws, the camp fee paid minus the administrative fee will be refunded if we are notified by July 14, 2013.
If a student withdraws between July 15 and July 29, 2013, we will refund 50 percent of the camp fee paid.
No refund will be given once the camp starts.